By Richard Levy
Written by means of best students in an available demeanour, this precise encyclopedia deals around the globe assurance of the origins, kinds, practitioners, and results of antisemitism, resulting in the Holocaust and surviving to the current day. Antisemitism has expert the speculation and perform of politics and has permeated cultures around the globe. the road among anti-Jewish sentiment and different kinds of clash is difficult to outline, however it is obvious that the harmful nature of antisemitism has harmed the human group for 2 millennia.
Entries during this encyclopedia span the interval from historical Egypt to the fashionable period. Key theoreticians of Jew-hatred and their written works, its permeation of Christianity and glossy Islam, and its political, inventive, and fiscal manifestations are lined. this is often the 1st accomplished paintings that bargains with the complete heritage of principles and practices that engendered the Holocaust.
Read or Download Antisemitism A Historical Encyclopedia of Prejudice and Persecution PDF
Best encyclopedias & subject guides books
"Finally, a consultant that solutions all your questions about own education in a single basic e-book" From the writer of the hugely acclaimed, Ignite the hearth: The secrets and techniques to construction a winning own education occupation comes a convenient reference advisor that solutions all your questions about own education.
- The Easy Step by Step Guide to Building a Positive Media Profile (Easy Step by Step Guides)
- The Crusades [4 Volumes]: An Encyclopedia: The Crusades: An Encyclopedia 4 Volume Set
- Encyclopedia of twentieth century architecture, Vol.1 (A-F)
- Behind the Fighting. Civil War
- West African Studies Regional Challenges of West African Migration: African and European Perspectives
Additional resources for Antisemitism A Historical Encyclopedia of Prejudice and Persecution
Popular usage is not so fastidious, however. Use of the word antisemitism to describe thinking and behavior intended to do harm to the reputation, rights, and/or physical well-being of Jews for a wide variety of motives and throughout history may lack absolute precision as a definition, but it has the advantage of allowing this encyclopedia to treat the subject broadly and usefully. Even so, many problems remain. Antisemitism, anti-Jewish stereotyping, and Jew-hatred in whatever degree are phenomena of the Diaspora.
2. Antisemitism—History—Encyclopedias. I. Levy, Richard S. II. Title. 892'4'009—dc22 06 05 04 03 02 01 2005009480 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 This book is also available on the World Wide Web as an eBook. com for details. ABC-CLIO, Inc. O. Box 1911 Santa Barbara, California 93116–1911 This book is printed on acid-free paper. Manufactured in the United States of America CONTENTS Contributors and Their Entries, xiii Introduction, xxix ANTISEMITISM A HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PREJUDICE AND PERSECUTION A Action Française (1899–1945), 1 Adams, Henry Brooks (1838–1918), 2 Adversus Iudaeos, 3 African American–Jewish Relations, 4 Agobard (779–840), 6 Agrarian League, 6 Ahlwardt, Hermann (1846–1914), 7 Alexandrian Pogrom, 9 Algeria, 9 Alliance Israélite Universelle, 10 Almohad Persecution, 12 Alsace, 13 American Jewish Committee and Antidefamation Efforts in the United States, 16 American Nazi Party, 17 Angriff, Der, 18 Antichrist, 19 Antisemites’ Petition (1880–1881), 20 Antisemitic Correspondence, 21 Antisemitic Political Parties (Germany, 1879–1914), 22 Antisemitism, Accusations of, 23 Antisemitism, Etymology of, 24 Anti-Zionism, 25 Anti-Zionism in the USSR, 26 Antonescu, Ion (1882–1946), 29 Apion, 29 Aquarius, Age of, 30 Arab Antisemitic Literature, 30 Arab Boycott, 32 Arafat, Yasir (1929–2004), 33 Arch of Titus, 34 Argentina, 35 Armed Forces of the United States, 37 Arndt, Ernst Moritz (1769–1860), 39 Aryan Paragraph, 39 Aryan Theater, 40 Aryanization (Germany), 41 Augustine of Hippo (354–430), 43 Auschwitz Lie, 45 Australia, 45 Austria, 48 Auto-da-fé, 50 B Bailey, Alice A.
My thanks to them, too. The editors went well beyond the passive lending of their prestige to the enterprise; each wrote several articles for the volume and helped identify suitable contributors within their areas of expertise. They were, in every sense, a working committee—cooperative, professional, and collegial. Roni Stauber of the Stephen Roth Institute of Tel Aviv University, Uwe Puschner of the Friedrich-Meinecke-Institut/Free University Berlin, Tom Kramer of the University of Sydney, and Frank Felsenstein of Ball State University were rich sources of good advice and always ready to share their wide-ranging knowledge of the field.